Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Larahs mama-mia pizza crust

basic recipe:
1 T. yeast
1 c. warm water
1 T. sugar (I use sucanet)
1t. salt
1/2 italian seasoning
1/2 t. garlic
2T. oil (I use coconut oil)
2.5-3 c. flour (I use fresh ground flour. I grind the milling wheat on a setting that is a bit finer than medium. Now if you use white flour this is not necessary, but I add 1T. of gluten flour/dough enhancer to the recipe w/ my freshly ground flour to make it "spongier)

I use my bosch for mixing, but this recipe can also be kneaded by hand.
First put the warm water,yeast and sugar into mixing bowl and let it proof (ie bubble) for about 5 mins. Then add the oil, salt, spices, and salt. Add about half the flour (and dough enhancer if applicable). I knead w/ my bosch , adding flour until the dough pulls away from the side and feels right ie not sticky, not dry. Remember, a *dry* dough will make a dry crust, so you want it just to the point of moist but not sticky. Knead for about 10 mins if kneading by hand or for a minute or two if using a bosch mixer. Let dough rest about 10 minutes. Then roll out using cornmeal on your rolling surface. Put on pizza stone, top as desired , and cook pizza for about 10 minutes in a 425 preheated hot oven.
I double this recipe and it is enough crust for 3 large pizza stones

~magnifico~

No comments: